Infusion video

I have watched this video countless times and used it to “learn” how to do an infusion.

I am aware that there are many methods of how to do it and they also state that in the video at one point.

I am also a member of the easy composites forum, the people who produced the clip.

They do seem very knowledgeable indeed and have been helping myself and others with all sorts of projects, including very complicated ones. So it leads me not to question the procedures in the clip. Now that I am here as well, I do question some of the things that the guy in the video does as well as some of the posts on here.

The double layer of mesh at the vac side is to soak up excess resin and allow a vacuum pillow for free flow out of the other side. He clamps the feed line first and subsequently the vac line 5-10 seconds later to allow the airated resin to escape.

The infusion starts with air in the feed line because it needs to be placed in the feed pot in the first place? he allows that air to escape before clamping the line.

Clamping the line makes perfect sense to me (if the bag is 100% sealed).

What I dont quite understand is, why some leave the pump running. Does it not cause the resin to be sucked back out of the part and into the catchpot? Wouldnt this result in too much resin being drawn out and resulting in a pin hole surface?

People argue that leaving the pump running during cure is a safety measure incase there are small leaks, but the pump will consume oil and gets very hot and may burn out if not pulling against a full vacuum.

A lot of questions and I am still very new to all of this, but highly interested to see some of your replies.

regards,

Fabian

[FONT=Tahoma]You only need enough resin to wet out the fibres any more is a waste.[/FONT]

I looked at there kit and decided I could get a better quality used pump for around the same money, my pump (Edwards E2M8) states that it is designed for continues use and the only requirement is to check the oil level every 12 hours

There are not many ways to do an working infusion. I don’t like that video, but not because we have an owen product and process, it’s because there are some thing you should not do and you will never get a good result by that way.
There is for example too much air in the resin, I think it is not degased. After curing you can see the air in the flow media, so vacuum was not stabil.
Thats why I think the part was not as perfect as he told. How many videos have you seen where the part is direct shown after demoulding? I only know our video, you can take a look in the MTI thread.
If you don’t use the MTI hose you need a brake zone before the vacuum line, not a resin highway with two layers of flow media.

Sure, if your bag is 100% tight you can switch the vac pump of and clamp the line, but if it is only 99.9% tight you part is garbage. And your vac pump should be able to run for 24h without start burning. Let the pump running can help to get a working part.

The pinholes are created by enclosed air or sucking out too much resin, thats why we developed the MTI hose. We tried a lot of thing before to eleminate pinholes. they worked, but not constant and as perfect than the MTI hose.

I like the company that do it because they are so very helpful, to customers and those that they would like as their customers.

I am not an expert, thats why I like to get multiple opinions. I do however think they know what they are doing. I asked Matt (the dude in the clip) and he stated that the video is for a cosmetically perfect part. With a pinhole free surface. This is why they clamp the lines and allow the resin to stay inside. Its different to a mechanically perfect part, where the pump stays running and the excess is all drawn into the catchpot.

I have looked at your MTI hose and indeed, it looks very interesting. Does it pull resin until the whole area is full, gloss surface on tool? Then only air is pulled through the membrane until vac is 100 %? When it is full, does the vacuum stop pulling resin from the feedpot?

My pump has the capability to pull 24 hours, yet I have not tried yet.

Thanks for your answers. oh, you may want to check out the new series of their videos, where the part is pulled infront of the viewer.

http://www.easycomposites.co.uk/Category/Online-Composites-Learning-Centre/How-to-Make-a-Carbon-Fibre-Car-BonnetHood---Part-23.aspx

cheers

I did not say the easy composites is bad, I just said I do not like the video. Most time the problem is that distributors are salesman and not technicans.
In the new video is also a video cut, the part is not shown direct after demoulding and in details.
I tried to contact the several times, but they did not answer. I have been looking for a distribuor in the UK, but it seems that they are not interested.
For informations about the MTI hose please read the MTI thread, there are a lot of infos.

For a newbie like myself is there a better video to learn from?
I liked this one.

This video is good inspiration.
But they miss some step that we( member forum) should put the properly step into it.
1.They miss to degas the resin.it (may be his resin solution can degas by leave it by 5-10 mins after mixing, we do not know)
2.Some of member argued that to turn on vacuum pump till the fully cure, but some just turn off after he resin flow end of the mold.I can not turn on the vacuum at night also .My wife may kill me.Bcoz my home is building,no garage no area. I think because of different in room temp in each area(mind is 27-29c at night and 30-36c at day) and resin type.

We have the main step to work.
We need no bubble and void.
and…I n really need your advise,expert.
Thank you
Weera

I always degass the resin and leave the pump on with a pressure switch. Better safe than sorry.

So out of interest has anyone bought the vacuum pump kit of these easy composites guys?

http://www.easycomposites.co.uk/products/starter-kits/vacuum-bagging-starter-kit.aspx

The kit looks great to start me off but I’m concerned if they’re telling you to switch the pump off once its infused that the pump itself might not be up to the task of running until the part has cured (12-24 hours). Like so many people on here are recommending for extra safety. I suppose another option would be to buy a third party pressure switch if they’re easy to come buy?

Buy the materials seperate, much cheaper! The pump is a standard airco vacuum pump, you can buy them on ebay. They work fine, only if your setup is not tight or when evacuating they produce oil mist.

try once you will know how to make it…
Nobody can run it perfect at the first time…and every time… bcoz it is real hand made
Many factor can control but some it is not.

it is still leak… it has to fix a tiny pin hole …
ฺOnce you make it you will know…

but this video is my inspiration…

That turned out pretty nice…

I have seen and had a good look at the bonnet/hood made by EC on their video tutorial and the part is every bit as good as it looks in the video :slight_smile: and of course very light.
Chris Alty
carbonfibreworks.co.uk