Fibertex - All in one consumable.

Album: http://imgur.com/a/IClpC

So far, I have tested the secondary bonding product for pre-preg (250 SB) along with their infusion grade 150 RF.

The 150RF says it replaces peelply, release film, and mesh. I’m NOT sure about the peelply part. The finish seems more smooth than peelply normally is. I have not done any peel tests on either product yet.

However, having to not cut several layers of stuff, I love it. I did use peelply to cover the spirals for the resin inlet and vent for the infusion product, AND used peelply as a brake, because this material has flow media on it, so I rather keep a brake zone in there in case. I might have been able to cover the entire part with the 150RF, but I wanted to see the difference between the materials.

Infusion:
6-8 layers of 5,9oz plain weave carbon.
API SC-15 resin for infusion

For the 250 SB and prepreg:
Added a few layer patch with insert onto existing part, ignore the pink epoxy that was left behind.
Cut 250SB 1/4" oversize, and taped on 4 corners, covered in breather, and bagged. Simple as that.
Net-resin prepreg, so very little bleed. Peeled off easily, nothing left on part. Looks like tons of dots of resin on the 250SB, so i guess they use a membrane or something.

Prepreg:
4 layers of 6-8oz VTM462 (or 465…264? whatever) Epoxy resin.

www.fibertex.com

Materials from Mark Kirk, CCT at Composites One

My Composites One rep has a huge hard on for this stuff as well. I just assumed he was pushing it hard cause he’d get a bonus if he sold a roll.

I’ll hit him up for a sample.

How was the cost compared to doing all 3 separately?

For secondary bonding there is the 150RF SB, will
leave a surface for secondary bonding.
Is a nice product, easy to peel on flat surfaces, but in hard corners and if you have a cut in the Compolex it is a pain to remove. It becomes very stiff after infusion.
It is not always better than classical peelply, perf release and flow media, but
much faster to place.

SB RF-150 is the Compoflex series I’m using with infusion and I’ve yet to have anything but stellar removal even in some near ninety degree drafts.

It removes in one full piece with much less pull effort and is much easier to dispose of later. While I have not done the math to verify its final cost compared to traditional consumables, for me it wouldn’t matter due to its performance being so consistent.

Another benefit I didn’t see coming was much easier storage and product handling. Applying and storing and cutting and placing peel ply, flow media etc. and stocking the rolls is gone for me now.

For me, its important because I’m trying to manage the same number of steps of 3-4 four people performance wise, with better product choices and equipment. Otherwise quality dips and costs skyrocket which will place me outside of a great price point opportunity.

So the consensus is this is the goods? (when applicable…) Cost is high? but worth it?

this is a really excellent point. i find myself spending more time moving stuff around, cutting, organizing for layup, etc than i actually do making parts. this in itself could save hours a week.

I’m sure it’s more expensive (no idea on roll costs, and really, there are a ton of different peelplys, release films, meshes, at all costs, so WHAT do you compare?), but I think for labor in a business, it would be a wonderful tool. I was not aware that they do have a RF SB version. I was reading the brochure for the 150 RF and it said it had a peel ply layer. Might be a way of saying a layer to peel it OFF, not a peelply for bonding :slight_smile:

For prepreg, I hate trying to cut peel ply, AND then position a release film on top of complex shapes. Of course, 90% of what I do now is flat panels :slight_smile:

Product range:

http://www.fibertex.com/en-GB/business-areas/Composites/Products/Pages/Products.aspx

It is a great product. For me, it is one out of 2 or 3 products which really improved resin infusion under film. I mean, products which are no existing product adapted (like hoses, perf film, vac film) but really are something new and useful.

i got 5 sq.m. of 150rf as a sample for them (i just pick one of the available products without knowing the specifics of each one of them) and i used it for a test in some very simple parts, it worked perfectly but i think it will be a bit trickier to use it in a more complex shape parts with angles etc. because it doesn’t formed well.
is there any significant difference on how much resin captures compered to the peelply/mesh ?

For me, what Ive found is that with slicing or relief cuts it conforms better than traditional consumables. Tack sprayed accordingly of course.

Resin consumption is less for me due to consistent lay up. I also practice no more than 1/4" overlap without trimming off to avoid wasted resin.

Thats not to say that those practices could not yield good results also with traditional supplies, they could.

Does anyone know of a supplier in North America that carries this? I’ve been searching with no success.

Composite one, well at least the sales rep had a sample…

I buy my rolls of Compoflex through Composites One currently.

I too would like to add my appreciation of the fibertex products… They have been a huge labour saver. After initial testing in the Autoclave we used the compoflex 250 for internal silicone bladder moulded prepreg components, the release is fantastic for these hard to access parts. I have used it for vacuum wet layup with equally good results.
If you require the traditional peel ply finish, say for bonding - use peel ply locally and then the Compoflex.
However, I never trust a peel ply finish and always abrade the surface that is going to be bonded with 60 grit Roloc discs.

The cost in the UK (150 & 250) is about equal to the cost of a conventional stack. (P/ply, perf, breather)

The biggest disadvantage is that it does not conform to complex shapes or compound curved surfaces as well as I would like.

Im not sure if 150 sb is such great product… of course it peel off great on flat sheets with minimum force - thats great like magic :wink: on the other hand if the material suck more resin it become very stiif and in tight corners its very hard to peel it off, it starts stir on small pieces.

Also take into account that 3 in 1 product doesnt conform well to the edges like 3 separatelly ones

Thats not my experience at all. As with any product, you must trial all methods of application to dial it in for your project at hand until the desired result…or not.

In the end for me, it conforms better than flow media and removes the same for me in near 90* drafts etc. That is due in part to remaining VERY consistent in thickness and stack.

Not to mention there is no chance of layers shifting because they are already bonded together.

OOOHHHHH I hate that.

“What’s that mesh doing there?” “DAMNIT…rebag.”

Thanks guys, I ordered a roll through Composites One

i’m trying to buy a roll of compoflex rf150 from fibertex but they don’t even bother to respond to my emails, do you know any company / website preferably from europe that i could buy one from ?

http://www.hacotech.com they renamed it though, call them or email, it is the same stuff