Duratec Sunshield Clear Top Coat

here is an image of the duratec spray attempt

sorry about pic size – don’t do this often

I generally feel trying to spray any thin materials on semi permanents is difficult.

Try waxing over the frekote.

It has to be sprayed with a very light mist for the first pass. Once that tacks, you can spray some heavier coats. It’s awesome stuff, but it does take some time to get used to spraying it- especially on a semi perm coated finish.

That’s pretty much what it does over any semi permanent release agent. Sometimes I heat the mold up to get the duratec to tack up faster then hit it again and babysit the fisheyes with a foam brush. I really wish someone in the industry had a better in clear mold coating solution! Hint hint German Advanced Composites In-Mold-Coating Bring it back to the U.S. and let us help you market it better.

Depending on your mold, styrene gas can pool in low areas and inhibit curing. It can be a good idea to set up a fan to help the gas evaporate and evacuate.
Just a thought, Outlaw. Did you get it figured out?
I’m planning on using this for IMC and ProSet infusion.

I’m having the same issues. Waxing over the semi-perm helped a little, but still a pain to spray over. I’ve tried the mist coat but might not wait long enough for fear of it gelling in the gun. You almost have to mix just enough right before you spray each coat which is a huge time waste.

Any other tips on working with this stuff? It is nice, just kinda a pain.

If the weather isn’t warm enough, then the only option is just to mix up an initial batch of 50mls,and have your say conditions main batch measured out and ready to go. Spray the mist coat, blow some acetone through the gun, and just let it set up for as long as it needs. Realistically it does need at least 15 minutes, more if it is below 25 degrees.

This doesn’t really take any more time, you just measure out how much you need, pour 50ml of it into a second cup and you’re away.

Baby sprays is the trick I guess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk