Carbon fiber kayak

Just wanted to show off my latest kayak build. A mix of carbon, some kevlar and soric core for stiffness. 14.5’ long and only 26 lbs. Still needs the rudder and foot controls added so probably 30 lbs all kitted out.

Nice!

Best part is when people ask where you got it:D

Wow! That is beautiful! Makes me wanna kayak@! Great work

Amazing work!!

Thanks for the kind words guys. Here’s a picture of the first kayak I built this spring. It was much heavier than the second one, that’s for sure. This was my first attempt at infusion and it’s been a great learning process.

Neat boats. Where did you get your outfitting parts? And I just heard Perception is killing the brand. My first couple boats were Perceptions as were many other folk’s.

Topkayaker.com has a lot of parts for many different makes and models. Between that and amazon.com is where everything came from.

Late to the party again but these are art, hang them in the living room. The weight sounds good. I think Soric has had a bad wrap for being heavy but I think if we are careful where we use it stiffens like crazy. I have been infusing 2mm, which had been hard to find, in some outrigger canoes I build. I am sure you are using either 2 or 3 mil and if you would not mind sharing do you have a preference between their XF, SF or the more recent LRC. I ask because I am running short of the 2mm product I bought years ago and my supplier was never sure what they sold me, believe it or not. I may end up ordering a variety and test but would appreciate your experience. For those who have not worked with Soric it is a dream for the fabricator, lays down like cloth, tight corners a little tricky, infuses fast, very few pinholes without Gel Coat.

I used 3mm soric SF. I can’t comment on the other varieties as this is just what my local supplier stocks. It works great for creating reinforcing ribs and infuses beautifully. I can see where it would add quite a bit of weight if you used it across an entire part but if you just use it to add stiffness in critical areas its great.

As above, stick with Soric. Like most, we’ve used many variants in the past, until using Soric